Ruger Precision rear bag riders.

People have been asking for a rear bag rider for the RPR for a while, so I made a start on the project today. They will be a direct replacement for the existing butt pad back plate and will be vapour honed and hard anodised to match the chassis as best I can. The rider tube will be 18,5mm diameter and will be in self colour. I have not calculated the weight yet, however around 180 grams or just under should be close and there will be a lighter version with a carbon fibre tube.

I will be machining these as a limited run so if you are interested please shout now as I have a feeling the USA is going to snap the majority of them up rather quickly.

I would expect to ship to anodise in around 3 weeks so they should be ready for shipping start of December, just ready for Christmas

Saiga 12 gas piston – The small jobs always count

Friday and I am catching up on the small jobs whilst waiting for some tool steel to arrive and an early job for the day was this Saiga 12 which is best explained with some pictures over a cup of coffee.

This was the gas piston connection to the bolt carrier on a Saiga 12 that was wobbling badly. Saiga simply screw the gas piston in and then stake it and it is never ideal.

The stakes are clearly visible in this image  you can see how much thread is hanging out of the end of the carrier.

First job is drill the stakes out and unscrew the piston, everything is then tidied up and I use a very high temperature adhesive to bond the piston to carrier which is screwed in until tight. Wait 24 hours for the adhesive to set. Now at this point I have to say I am always slightly wary of this as everything needs to be fairly well aligned however this is an accepted modification so on with the job.

Drill through with a 4,2mm drill and add a countersink to either end. The holes where I had drilled out the stakes lined up perfectly proving attention to detail always pays dividends.


Then it is just a matter of machining a pin to suit with a suitable countersunk head at one end. I always go for a tight fit and check this on the machine before the pin is removed as it is always easier to take another fine cut if required.

With fit confirmed the pin is pushed into place and the ends peened over.



The final job is to file the ends of the pin flush with a light emery to complete and the job is done and I defy you to spot where the pin is 🙂

Well that is my coffee finished and another couple of jobs booked in so I had better make a start on the next job which involves a Ruger Precision Rifle.

The Shooting SHED F/TR “Støtteben” MkIII bipod – we are going to do another run.

We have received several emails recently asking us if we have any of our MkIII bipods in stock and if not would we consider another run so after some debate we have decided on what is probably going to be our final run.
The bipod is already well known internationally within the F/TR class however if you are new to the discipline here are some vital statistics for the Shooting SHED “Støtteben” MkIII
Main bipod assembly: 6082 T6 aluminium
Finish: Vapour honed and black anodised surfaces.
Screws: A4 Stainless Steel.
Elevations shaft: Stainless Steel
Elevation nuts: 316 stainless steel
Weight: Approximately 610 grams
Weight with optional toggle locks fitted: Approximately 674 grams
Weight of optional toggle lock 32 grams (1.15 Ozs)
Maximum recommended width: 785,0mm (31 Inches)
Maximum recommended height: 380,0mm (13.5 Inches)
If you would like to know more about the product and get your name on the list please email the Viking:

Ruger Precision Rifle – Rear bag rider

I have had a few enquiries of recent for a rear bag rider for the Ruger Precision Rifle so here it is as a prototype fitted to a customer rifle. This rider has a 23,4mm tube suspended from a rear plate and if it looks to be sloping up it is! The customer asked for a 10 degree angle on the rider however I opted for 2.5 degrees to keep things low. The idea of the slope is by moving the rifle forwards and back subtle changes can be made to the elevation without excessive bag squeezing.

The finished product will be anodised in black and available with a spacer to give either zero or 2.5 degree slope if requested. I will also offer it with a 20,0mm tube as an alternative so you size it to your own make of rear bag.

The bag rider incorporates the original Ruger fixings so the butt can be canted as with the original and will be made in a limited run so if you are interested or have any questions or comments please let me know.

DTA Rear Bag Riders

I have had a few people asking for Rear Bag Riders for the DTA systems so here they are. These are designed to stack with the original DTA spacers and the bag rider tube is removable.

Material is 6082 T6 aluminium, vapour honed and type 3 hard anodised to full military specification. The finish is a satin black with the edges nicely blended to remove snag points, the rider tube itself is attached with an A4 stainless cap head. They should give years of service in any environment. I will be adding them to the SHED Shop very shortly.

DTA bag rider2